RMOG Logo

RMOG Logo
RMOG Logo

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Test It Out Thursday: Zero Water



For Test it Out Thursday, I wanted to share with you my latest GREEN purchase: the Zero Water Filtration System.  I bought the 23-cup dispenser.  It fits in the fridge, but I choose to keep it on the kitchen counter, as I don't really prefer cold water.  I bought it on Amazon which is a bit less expensive than getting it direct from the Zerowater website, plus the box contains coupons for future purchases of filters.



I absolutely LOVE IT!  The water tastes great, almost sweet due to the fact that it doesn't have any metallic flavor like normal tap water.  It is easy to fill and convenient to grab a glass of water.  It is made very well and looks as though it will last many, many years (meaning the nozzle doesn't feel like it will come loose or break after repeated use). 

So yes, you may be asking why I need this anyway, when tap water should be just fine.  Well, I guess I'll admit that I am a bit high-maintenance in the fact that I do feel that tap water does have a taste to it and I prefer the "no-taste" of filtered water.  Instead of buying 5-gallon jugs of water like I did when I lived in Las Vegas, I bought the Zero Water Filtration System instead.  

Yes, I know I know, buying water is not very GREEN at all, but anyone who has lived in Las Vegas knows you honestly can't drink the tap water - it's nasty!  I wish I had known about this product when I lived there, it would have saved me money from having my water delivered every month.  

Don't believe me about the water in Las Vegas?  Take a look at this map showing the average Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)  rating per state.  Nevada, North Dakota, and Arizona have the worst ratings, over 401 TDS.  I entered in my old zip code for Las Vegas on the zerowater.com website and many of the readings even show ABOVE 500!  One even read 817...SCARY!!  The EPA maximum, by the way, is 500.  

The EPA states that, "A high concentration of total solids will make drinking water unpalatable and might have an adverse effect on people who are not used to drinking such water. Levels of total solids that are too high or too low can also reduce the efficiency of wastewater treatment plants, as well as the operation of industrial processes that use raw water."

Read more direct from the EPA website here


 
If any of you are in the Nevada, Arizona, or North Dakota areas, I would love to hear what you do for your drinking water.

The Zero Water Filtration System comes with a TDS water testing meter that fits right on the outside of the container.   It is fun to test the water before and after filtration.  Plus, my husband tests it after he puts in ice cubes and it actually raises the level of dissolved solids. 

 




Now it's your turn.  For Test It Out Thursday, tell us what GREEN product you have bought or tested out this week.  Share with us all if you liked it or if you didn't, and why.

Also, there are only 10 days left in the challenge.  The race is still far from over and you still have a chance of catching up and winning the Conscious Box if you grab the BIG bonus points by:
  • Following the RMOG blog
  • Following the Muse blog
  • "Liking" the RMOG on Facebook
  • Sharing the Challenge on Facebook and tagging @"The Real Meaning of GREEN"
  • Tweeting about the Challenge on Twitter using hash tag #btcEcoChallenge

Thanks again for everyone's support during this 1st Eco-Challenge.  We hope you are learning and having fun at the same time!

Up tomorrow: Earth Friendly Foods Friday (you will want to read this one)

Thanks,
~Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment