a male African leopard, 11 months
Black Jaguar White Tiger Foundation Facebook Page
So what’s the solution? Yes, sanctuaries are a God-send for these abused animals, but the solution lies in addressing the source of the problem. Thankfully, laws are starting to take form to help protect big cats and other wild animals. For example, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a law through last month that prohibits direct contact between members of the public and big cats at traveling animal shows and fairs. This is a start.
If you really want to show your love for these animals, here you can help:
- Changing your mentality about wild animals
- This means: don’t buy tickets to the circus or Sea World, don’t swim with the dolphins on your vacation in Hawaii, etc. Teach your children this and explain why. And for goodness sake, please resist the urge for a “Tiger selfie.”
- Please top saying “I want one.” Realize that once these animals are full grown adults, they do not make good “pets.” The Big Cat Sanctuary in Tampa, FL receives requests all the time asking them to take their “pet” cat, as they explain:
- These unwitting owners have discovered that all exotic cats, both male and female, neutered or not, spray and bite when they reach sexual maturity. (They don’t just spray a little either. We are talking about buckets of the foulest smelling urine, all over your house, your things and you. If you don’t believe me, watch this clip of a neutered lion HERE). Moving them out to the yard means your neighbors will soon be complaining that your place smells like a zoo. By the time they find us they have discovered that the zoos do not want their animals, that no one is willing to buy them and that they can’t even give them away. Refuges are usually full to capacity and cannot take in another hungry mouth to feed. All too often, these “pets” are turned out to fend for themselves, where they surely die of starvation or are euthanized.
- If we reduce the demand, the breeding and entertainment industry will reduce the supply – simple economics
- Read, research – the internet is full of amazing information
- Lead by example and be an influence on others
- Proper Captive Wildlife Management
- Such as this one, asking Obama to help keep Tigers out of American backyards: https://support.worldwildlife.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=797
The Wildcat Sanctuary. (2011). Captive Wildlife Laws. Retrieved from