Today is my new favorite day of the week, as it is Meatless Monday! I have always loved vegetarian meals. If made right, they have so much flavor, so much freshness, and I never feel guilty about having seconds...or thirds.
For Meatless Monday this week I will share with you one of my most favorite vegetarian recipes. My dad taught me to make this dish when I was young, so this is also in his honor for Father's Day this upcoming Sunday. I have been modifying the burrito, playing with different ingredients, since I was young and have finally refined the perfect combination of ingredients.
This vegetarian burrito is a weekly summer dish in my household. On a hot summer day, it is so refreshing. It is low in calories and since most of the ingredients go in raw, it is extremely healthy. Listed below are the ingredients and preparation instructions.
Kristin's Veggie Burrito
- Wheat Tortillas
- Yogurt (I prefer Greek, or for some extra fun kick, use strawberry flavor - trust me, it's yummy)
- Black Beans (drained & rinsed - or Whole Foods has great "Spicy Black Beans" that are ready to go)
- Bell peppers, raw, sliced
- Mushrooms, raw, sliced (these give it the meaty texture - I like baby bella or crimini)
- Avocado, raw, diced
- Fresh Tomato, raw, diced
- Alfalfa Sprouts (if you can find them, they are becoming harder to find these days due to food safety issues - but these give the burritos a great refreshing crunch)
- Cheddar Cheese, fresh grated (sharp cheddar or colby jack are my preference)
- Salsa (optional)
Heat the black beans and prep all of the vegetables. Spread 2T of yogurt on the center of the tortilla. Add 2T black beans, sliced bell peppers, sliced raw mushrooms, diced tomatoes, and diced avocados. Finish with alfalfa sprouts, grated cheese, and salsa (if you prefer). Wrap it up, and voila, you're done!
Prep time about 10 minutes.
If you decide to try out the recipe, I would love to hear your feedback.
For the Be The Change Eco-Challenge, tell us what you are cooking up or eating for Meatless Monday today. And if you're daring, let us know what you find most challenging about taking out the meat - is it the texture or flavor you crave? Is it the convenience?
Here is a reminder on how you can earn points to try and win the Conscious Box at the end of the Month:
- Tell us in the comments section of this blog below
- Tell us on the RMOG Facebook Page
- Post a picture on Facebook and tag @"The Real Meaning of GREEN"
- Tell us on the Muse in Purple Blog
- And be sure to log into Rafflecopter here for super easy bonus point. Get 10 points each for following the blogs and RMOG Facebook page and 1 point per day for tweeting about the challenge #btcecochallenge
We hope you are enjoying the challenges!
Brought to you by....
~Kristin & Kelsey