RMOG Logo

RMOG Logo
RMOG Logo

Monday, June 24, 2013

Meatless Monday - The Final Week of the Challenge!

It is the final week of the Be the Change Eco-Challange!  Let's start the week off right with Meatless Monday's!

I know it can be tempting to give in to convenience and other factors, but I hope many of you learned through this challenge that it is easy and tasty to forgo the meat.  Plus, the impact you are making by skipping that cheeseburger or chicken sandwich is HUGE!  Just remember, when you think that your choices are too insignificant to make a difference on a global level, remember this quote by Anita Roddick.  




For my final Meatless Monday post, I wanted to remind you to keep spreading the word Meatless Monday's.  Just because the challenge is over, doesn't mean you have to stop pushing yourself to make small sustainable changes in your life.

I will continue to post recipes and information about food sustainability on the RMOG Facebook page and here on my Pinterest page: http://pinterest.com/rmogreen/food-sustainability-healthy-eating/

There is a good chance Kelsey and I will run this challenge again in the future.  If we do it again, we may change up the days or rules a bit, so we would love to hear your comments on the challenge and any suggestions you have for future contests/giveaways.  

For my Meatless Monday challenge activity I whipped up my first batch of homemade hummus  that I am going to enjoy for lunch today with some sugar snap peas.  I also made a white bean hummus because my husband is allergic to chick peas.  

I was surprised how simple it was and how much better it tasted than the ones at the grocery store (and cheaper!!).  I encourage you to try making this at home, if you have a food processor or blender - once you taste it, you know it's worth the 10 minutes!



Roasted Garlic Hummus 
(in picture on left side of plate)
1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
1T tahini (toasted sesame oil)
1 large head of garlic, roasted (I prefer more than this - I used 2 heads)
2T olive oil
1/4c warm water (helps make it creamy)
1 lemon, juice of
1/4t sea salt

White Bean Red Pepper Hummus
(in picture on right side of plate)
1 can white beans (I used Great Northern, but you can use cannellini, navy, etc)
1T tahini (toasted sesame oil)
1/2 cup (4oz) roasted red peppers
2T olive oil
1T ground coriander
1/4c warm water (helps make it creamy)
1 lemon, juice of
1/4t sea salt
 


Directions for either:
Roast garlic (or sautee peppers).  Add all ingredients to a food processor.  
Blend.  Easy.  Done.


No comments:

Post a Comment